Academic Operations Contacts
Jinnette Senecal, MEd
Academic Outcomes Manager
Instructional Design & Technology
Celia Coochwytewa, MEd
Manager, Instructional Design and LX Innovation
Guillermo Rodriguez, BA
Instructional Technology Analyst
Faculty Instructional Tools 101 - ASU Sync/Remote Edition
From the Office of the University Provost:
To support ASU’s continued efforts to improve learning for all students, UTO, EdPlus, and colleges and schools across the university are collaborating under the leadership of the Office of the University Provost to provide instructors with personalized professional learning opportunities to enhance remote teaching through ASU Sync.
In addition to the ASU Sync toolkit, please review this collection of resources curated by the Edson College Instructional Design Team to learn more about strategies and tools available to you as you continue to deliver exceptional learning experiences for all Edson College students.
Administering Exams and Assessments
A variety of assessment strategies and tools are available to all ASU instructors. Many tools are directly integrated in Canvas for ease of use.
- ASU Toolkit: Low-Stakes Assessments
- ASU Toolkit: High-Stakes Assessments
- Computer-Based Testing with Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor:
- About Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
- Respondus Monitor: Understanding Proctoring Results
- Please email Juli McGinnis to schedule computer-based testing support for Edson College courses.
- Academic Integrity Resources:
Creating Engaging Digital Presentations
Developing asynchronous presentations/lectures may be a useful strategy for supporting on-demand student learning. Before diving into production, we recommend viewing this brief, six-minute Video Spotlight on Creating Effective Lecture Videos.
- Three recommended tools for DIY creation of engaging digital presentations:
- Adobe Spark Video
- Narrated Microsoft PowerPoint Video:
- Screencast-O-Matic + MediaAMP (6-minute video)
- Additional resources:
Facilitating Synchronous Learning Experiences with Zoom
Arizona State University has adopted Zoom, a collaborative video conferencing tool, for all academic and operational meeting needs. Feature enhancements and instructional resources are rapidly evolving, and will be added to these resources lists as they become available.
- Zoom Video Conferencing Overview/FAQ
- Teaching with Zoom (UTO)
- Using Pre-Assigned Breakout Rooms in Zoom
- Recording and Sharing Zoom Meeting Sessions
- Zoom Privacy + Security Resources (UTO)
Other Useful Toolkits and Resources
Many organizations are compiling strategic resource kits to support instructors through the process of pivoting to remote teaching modalities.
- AACN Response to COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
- Coronavirus Resources for Nurse Educators
- Design for Online Toolkit (ASU TeachOnline)
- iCollaborative Collection: Clinical Teaching and Learning Experiences without Physical Patient Contact
- Search by domain: Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Search by domain: Medical Knowledge
- Search by domain: Patient Care
- Search by domain: Practice Based Learning & Improvement
- Search by domain: Professionalism
- Search by domain: Systems Based Practice
- iDesign Educational Assets (iDEA) Book (Research-supported instructional design resources in an easy-to-use format.)
- National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education Resource Center: Virtual/Online Resources
- Quality Matters Emergency Remote Instruction Checklist
- University of Connecticut: Evolving Resources for Clinical Replacements (Dynamic list shared via AACN)
Accessing Additional Help
For technical assistance during a Zoom course meeting:
- Contact the ASU Experience Center by phone (1-855-278-5080) or submit a ticket/initiate a live chat from your myASU Service tab.
For assistance with Canvas and/or preparing for Zoom course meetings:
- Please email Juli McGinnis to schedule an appointment with the Edson College Instructional Design Team.
For assistance with obtaining or preparing an ASU-provided laptop to facilitate Zoom meetings:
- Please submit a help ticket to the Edson College Information Technology Team.
To explore the production options for instructional videos:
For questions regarding accessibility of remote instruction and managing accommodations:
- Please contact the ASU Student Accessibility and Inclusive Learning Services (SAILS) at DRC@asu.edu or call 480-965-1234.