Business Services Team Contacts

Philip Carrano
Sr. Director, Business Services

Finance Team

Kevin Bates
Assistant Director, Business Services

Patrick Byler
Financial Specialist

Human Resources Team

Jennifer Spatola
Assistant Director, Human Resources

Kecia Powell
Human Resources Specialist

Merari Gishie
Human Resources Specialist

How to Request FWA

  1. Both employee and supervisor review SPP 306: Flexible Work Arrangements
  2. Employee and supervisor meet to discuss a flexible work arrangement.
  3. Supervisor will bring the proposed FWA to leadership (Director and/or Assoc Dean).
  4. Leadership reviews requests with the Dean to obtain approval.
  5. Upon Dean approval, supervisor will inform employee to move forward with FWA request form.
  6. Employee must complete this flexible work arrangement request form and email to Edson HR will send through Adobe Sign for supervisor and Dean signatures/approvals.
    *If full remote working out-of-state, see below for additional form.
  7. Additional approval may be required from the EVP. If so, Edson HR will obtain.
  8. Copies of the fully approved form will be filed in the employee’s Edson personnel folder, provided to the department supervisor, and provided to the employee.

A flexible work arrangement tracking tool is available for supervisors to help manage schedules.


Out-of-State Full Remote Work
Employees approved to work out-of-state must also have an approved ‘Out-of-State Request form’ in addition to the FWA form.

  • Employee must provide home address and work address (if different than home) to
  • Supervisor must provide a business purpose for working out-of-state to   

Edson HR will use the information provided to fill out the form and send through Adobe Sign for all approvals, including Provost.

ASU employees whose work site is located in the U.S. outside of Arizona are subject to all
employment laws of the state where they work. Financial Services must be informed in advance of
potential work arrangements outside of Arizona to be fully compliant with all reporting, taxation and
employment regulations of the other state. Departments must notify Financial Services when an employee changes their work location. Refer to FIN 420-08 for more information.

Allowing ASU employees to work in foreign countries can create tax and legal liabilities for the
employee and the university. Each situation must be evaluated separately and may require outside tax and legal counsel. Contact Financial Services at 480-965-3601 before such arrangements are made.

Last revised by Jennifer Spatola on Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 9:45am